brown sugar and almond love

Monday, January 18, 2010 |
If you are brand new to this blog, you probably don’t know about my baking and cooking posts. Mostly I talk about an awesome recipe and post proud photos. These are interspersed with the occasional cooking disaster, or course. I’m not anywhere near gourmet – I just like to bake. It’s therapy, and my own personal cure for insomnia.

I’m not suffering from insomnia right now (hello? New job?), but with all the craziness of moving across the country and holidays, I haven’t baked in a while. Yesterday it felt like time. So: enjoy. Drool a little. Make some for yourself!

Brown Sugar Almond Cookies

INGREDIENTS

1 cup butter (room temperature)

1 cup granulated (white) sugar

1 cup dark brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons vinegar

4 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup slivered almonds

1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

72 whole almonds

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400˚F.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, blending well. In separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in vinegar. Add to butter, egg and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in flour and baking powder. Lastly, blend in slivered almonds and vanilla or almond extract.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on non-stick or greased cookie sheet. Place one whole almond in the center of each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Makes approximately 72 cookies.

Recommended for: buttering up your boss, afternoon tea parties, classy occasions and impressing that certain someone. YUM.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I was just saying I need to make some cookies.

Leah l'Orange said...

i always look forward to your cooking and baking posts, dahlink. MMMM.

darn ya.

Ryan said...

yummy!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love your recipes. I made such a splash with your lovely soup recipe I made for my in laws over the holiday :)

Anonymous said...

My mom makes these, only with hershey kisses; and being I don't really care for hershey kisses, I never eat them. But it never occurred to me that I can just use almonds!! Guh! Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Im so making these....yummo....and thanks for your comments on the Devils Kiss review...;)

Really Old Guy said...

mail some home to papa?

Newer Posts Older Posts Home