cake mix doughnuts

Monday, September 19, 2011 |
Ever since I watched my sister make Buttermilk Chicken Tenders, I’ve been determined to try my hand at frying up something delicious. Of course, you can fry almost anything, but I wanted doughnuts. After all, doughnuts are very-special-occasion-ONLY fare, and thus worth the fuss and muss of a weeknight baking experiment.


The trouble was, I didn’t have a lot of flour on hand. Enter an ordinary box of spice cake mix, and you get recipe salvation. Hellooo, delicious!


Cake Mix Doughnuts (from this recipe)


INGREDIENTS


Doughnuts

2 cups warm water

1 tablespoon yeast

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 box spice cake mix (or any type, really... I just love spice cake!)

4 cups flour

vegetable oil


Glaze

1/2 cup hot water

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar



DIRECTIONS


Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, until yeast froths up. Add cake mix and flour. Mix well. Dough will be soft but should not be extremely sticky – add flour if necessary. Cover and let rise about one hour. Roll dough out on floured counter. Cut out doughnut shapes – I used a glass and the top of a whipped cream can for the circles, because I didn’t have any cookie cutters handy. Let rise on a lightly greased baking sheet for 30-45 minutes.


Fill frying pan 3/4 inch deep with vegetable oil and set to medium high heat. You’ll know the oil is ready to go when you add one of the doughnut holes and it sizzles up around the sides of the dough. Add doughnuts to oil, frying for one to two minutes on each side. When brown on both sides, remove from oil and drain on paper towel-covered plate.



For glaze, whisk ingredients together in small bowl. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze on both sides, then let dry on wire racks. Enjoy while warm!


This recipe is really first-time-fryer friendly. Simple, few ingredients, and the end result is DE-licious. Just don’t plan to keep the donuts very long – they lose their best flavor and consistency after about a day.


Recommended for: a foray into the world of doughnuts, frying and hot, sweet, bread-like carbs. In other words? Pure indulgence. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm not a hug doughnut fan, but I think I would like these.

Tales of Whimsy said...

YUM. I adore donuts.

Unknown said...

Although these are not Krispy Kreme donut , they're still pretty darn good!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home