sausage and cheese bites

My good friend Leigh hosted a Texas Independence Day party yesterday.  She’s a displaced (misplaced?) Texan living here in the DC area, and she’s very proud of her home state.  I don’t like to show up at a party without a contribution, so I asked her what I could bring/make that would fit in with the theme.  She told me that she hadn’t had sausage balls for years.  I said something along the lines of, ‘What are sausage balls?!’  And then I giggled, because apparently I’m 12 years old on the inside. 


These appetizers were all the rage in Tahoka, Texas when Leigh was growing up.  And now I know why – they’re simple to make, use few (and easily accessible) ingredients, and they’re delicious.  I’ll keep them in my party food rotation from here on out, for sure.  But I had to rename them!

Sausage and Cheese Bites (modified from this recipe

INGREDIENTS

1 lb package of ground sausage, such as Jimmy Dean
3 cups Bisquick mix
4 ounces regular cream cheese
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
ground pepper to taste (optional)


DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare two baking sheets by lining with foil, set aside.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mash together with hands until well combined.  Create one-inch balls by squeezing the mixture in one hand until it holds together, then roll between both palms to smooth into a sphere.


Place the dough bites on the baking sheet, about 1/2 inch to an inch apart, and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, as shown in photos.  Cool on baking sheets for 2 to 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.  Yields two and a half dozen sausage and cheese bites.

I was worried the mixture would either turn out too creamy or too crumbly, but the recipe was really just about perfect.  They smelled and tasted great hot out of the oven, but were quite delicious when cool, too.  My roommate asked if they were cookies – and I think that describes them to a T: sausage and cheese cookies, and it’s impossible to eat just one.  I can also see that there’s a lot of room for variation with this recipe: different types of sausages, pepper flakes, seasoning, and another kind of shredded cheese would change the whole ballgame.


Recommended for: when you need a hearty party snack on the menu, and as a time-tested appetizer that’s sure to please (as long as no one is counting calories).

Interested in other food-related posts?  Check out Beth Fish Reads’ Weekend Cooking!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like a winning appetizer.

Beth F said...

ok. Bookmarking now. This sounds like a winner and I've never heard of them before. Yeah, I can see changing up the spices and the ground meat (lamb and feta, maybe?). And I must be 12 too, cause I also giggled at the name.

Alex said...

These look so good my mouth is watering. I really need to try these.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ooooo I adore these. My grandmother in law (God rest her soul) use to make some amazing ones. :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home